Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Welcome

Hi my (pen) name is Meg and I live in Ohio. I am a mom and a student. I love to read. For me reading is something that helps to keep me sane and helps me feel normal. I notice that when my life starts to feel crazy that I have not been taking the time to read. In my past reading has also been like therapy. The book that comes to mind most in this area is Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood (I hated the movie though.) I don't have the best relationship with my mom and this book helped me see her more as a person and move past some of my issues with her. My mom is a lot like the mom in this book. I also find that reading is an escape from mothering and everyday life. Peace like a River is one of the best books I have read. See the sidebar for more favorites. Barbara Kingsolver is one of my favorite authors. I also like Tracy Chevalier, the Harry Potter Series, and memoirs and some classics. When I was younger my favorite book was The Crucible, yes I know it is a play, but I read it over and over.
Mag (also a pen name) and I live on opposite sides of the country and this blog is a place for us to review some of the books we are reading. So, pull up a chair and a book and say hello! And please feel free to suggest your favorite books! Right now I am currently reading Playful Parenting, but reading non fiction is just not doing it so I need to find a good fiction book or memoir to double team!
Hi, Mag here. I live in Washington, the state not DC. I like to think of myself as a professional mother. I am interested in art and writing and also spend a lot of my energy helping with my children's co-op preschool. I've been an avid reader since I was in third grade and my teacher recommended the Little House on the Prairie books. I used to read pretty much soley fiction, until I met Meg and she recommended some great non-fiction books like Nickel and Dimed. Most of the non-fiction I read now is either related to parenting or education. I also like memoirs quite a bit, especially ones I can relate to. Last night I finished Expecting Adam and I am in the middle of Operating Instructions and Practically Perfect In Every Way. One of my all-time favorite books is Daisy Fay and the Miracle Man by Fannie Flag--I have reread it several times when I was in need of a good laugh.
I am really excited about having a blog dedicated to books and hope to get to know others that are as passionate about reading as Meg and I are. So, like Meg said, introduce yourselves and tell us what you are reading!

No comments: